Do U Original An Art Experience

Sep 12, 2011

Posted by | Leave a Comment

I know I’m not the Art Contributor but I had to give my two cents about my evening at the DUO: Do U Original Art Exhibition. Similar, to Russell Simmons writing a random piece for Global Grind, tweeting it and the hits (I’m sure) tripling on that day alone. I’ll be doing the same for the Art Contribution, all the while hoping that my hits do the same..lol.

Do U Original. Is not always an easy statement to live by but at last evening’s presentation of the DUO: Do U Original Art Exhibition Artists; Jason O’BrienKwame Delfish did just that, they did them. I’ve become fond of DUO’s (previously members of JMK) work over the last few years. Largely because it was my truest introduction to the world of visual Art in Toronto. To watch their growth as artist collectively  and as individuals, was a pleasure.

Jason O’Brien’s exhibit The Audacity of Purple showcased  “A journey of intimate meditations inspired by the colour Purple.”   While Kwame’s Follow up Stream exhibit clearly demonstrates his passion for Art, beginning in his early adolescent years.

Jason’s past collections has commonly captured the essence of a woman and the strength behind her afro centric hair.  However, with the Audacity of Purple Collection it was refreshing to view several interpretations of Art, where the central inspiration is derived simple from one eye-catching colour, purple.  Symbolically, Purple is associated with Royalty, Power, Nobility and Creativity.  For Jason to capture some of the colours symbolism in his collection, added another level to his ongoing creative work. Favourite pieces: Caught Up In the Rapture and The Golden Palms.

Some may say I would be bias as I write this,  considering Kwame “The Del” Delfish is an extended part of the IAWH Family but “who cares, I was impressed”.   This collection was in my belief his best yet. It’s a clear example of an artist taking Art “to that next level”.  An artist either confident or crazy enough to mix an Obama piece, with Captain America caricatures, Teddy Bears, Chalk Boards and vintage elementary school desks, clearly this is a passion for Art, not just a talent.  Not that his past works weren’t representations of his creativity but Follow up Stream clearly incorporated elements of  “The Del’s” personality, big ole kid with a love of everything child-like.  Favourite pieces:  Captain America, L.O.L. and Peace. Love.Sacrifice.

DUO: Do U Original Art Exhibition A Must See!
Twist Gallery
1100 Queen Street West
Sept 1st – Sept 29th
11pm – 6pm

Read More

The Heart Truth Fashion

Apr 9, 2011

Last evening, I had the pleasure of viewing the fourth annual Heart Truth Fashion Show, for the first time. The invite only event took place at the prestigious Carlu venue, in downtown Toronto. The Heart Truth Fashion show is the annual signature event of the Heart Truth campaign created by the Heart & Stroke Foundation. The Heart Truth Campaign focuses on educating and bringing awareness to women’s heart disease & stroke.  

Bobbe Wood, CEO of the Heart & Stroke Foundation opened up the show in a red dress, which is the official symbol of the Heart Truth campaign. The symbolic red dress is a representation of woman’s courage, passion and their power for change. In her opening statements Bobbe Wood stated that “heart disease and stroke is the leading cause of death for Canadian women, more than all cancers combined.”

The evening brought together some of Canada’s top female celebrities and for the first time, invited the swagger of some male celebrities to walk the runway (in support of the cause). Celebrity models wore an original red dress designed by Canadian fashion designers. Celebrities in attendance included: Tre’ Armstrong (Choreographer), Bal Arneson (Food Network Host), Isabelle Brasseur (Olympic Medalist), Deborah Cox (R & B Singer), Wendy Crewson (Actor), Elisha Cuthbert (Actor), Arlene Dickinson (Dragon’s Den Co-Star), Mylene Dinh-Robic (Actor), Megan Follows (Actor), Chan Hon Goh (Ballerina), Dr Christiane Laberge,  Andrea Martin (Comedian), Debra Mcgrath (Actor), Gabrielle Miller (Actor), Rick Campanelli (ET Canada, Co Host), Colin Mochrie (Actor) and many more.

With celebrities in all areas of media, it was only natural that each celebrity brought their individual personalities to the stage…check out some of my favourite’s walks down the runway….

For more information about the Heart Stroke foundation, Celebrity Bio’s and the Heart Truth Campaign visit www.thehearttruth.ca or the join their facebook group www.facebook.com/thehearttruth.

Read More

Gift of Music Raises $5000.00 for Music Counts Canada

Dec 16, 2010

The Gift of Music presented by MC Kid Kut  along with IVPlay Entertainment showed their support for music recently by organizing a charity fundraiser in support of Music Counts Canada. The event hosted by  Kardinal Offishall, included a roster of special performances by Canadian artist; Jully Black, Kim Davis, Saukrates, Melanie Durrant among various others.

The exceptional talent from the evening, proved why music is truly a gift and continued support of music programs (such as Music Counts Canada) are truly important to keep alive.

Organizer Kid Kut spoke to me on why Music Counts Canada was his charity of choice…

“In the beginning stages of my career I was fortunate enough to be a part of a music program (called Fresh Arts) that allowed me to gain experience, make contacts and gain the knowledge required to start my career the right way.  Music Counts Canada is a great program it is very similar to the Fresh Arts program. They support children’s dreams to be involved in the Arts. I decided what better an initiative to support.”     

Accumulated funds from event ticket sales, a silent auction (of which I am now a proud owner of a new Black Berry Bold) and raffle will allow the Gift of Music team  to proudly donate approximately $5000.00 to Music Counts Canada in the coming weeks.

Congratulations to Kid Kut and the Gift of Music team.

Gift of Music Footage.

gift of music Toronto 2010 from Kid Kut on Vimeo.

www.KidKut.com
www.ivplay.ca

Read More

If Hip Hop Had A Face

Nov 23, 2010

About Face Artist Collective recently showcased art exhibit If Hip Hop Had A Face: A Portrait Experience.
Paintings from Artist Kwame Delfish, Georgia Fullterton, Peterson Joseph , among various other artist, filled the top floor of the Proper Reserve Clothing Store.  The representation of  Hip Hop through various pieces of Art, accented with music by DJ Sean Sax  mixed with the laid back vibe of the location, made the exhibit a great success.

Prior to the event, I hoped at least one of the several artist would “think out of the box” and take the time to truly represent the face of Hip Hop. Since, we all know (or should know) that Hip Hop is more than just music and entertainers. Hip Hop is truly a culture of people, places and things. I was convinced I would see at least one Biggie, Tupac, Run DMC or even Jay Z in the collection (they are all arguably great representations of the Hip Hop Culture) but I hoped to see something beyond the obvious. Surprisingly, I did.

Artist Georgia Fullerton
CLOSER TO THE SOURCE:  a simple portrait of a woman intensely occupied with her thoughts.

“In this painting I express how style and fashion in Hip-Hop Culture is never the book cover that we judge.”

Artist Kwame Delfish
RUSSELL SIMMONS: from Krush Grooves to Yoga Moves.

“Uncle Russ, the Dali Lama of the Hip Hop Movement known not just for his spirituality but for his dedication to teaching and empowering other’s. His contribution to the Hip Hop Culture continues to be unmatched as he is always looking for new ways of taking Hip Hop to higher heights……not just the face of Hip Hop but the face of change.”

Artist Peterson Joseph
HIP HOP DEITY:  She Is Hip Hop

Peterson Joseph

“Inspired by the Goddess of knowledge, music & art, Saraswati exudes the four elements of music: mind, alertness, ego, intellect.  Her stories are real, gritty, painful & triumphant. They tell of her trials, tribulations, failures and successes. Representing the universal, divine and true knowledge with confidence she channels every emotion and feeling into the heart and soul of music. She is strong. She is powerful. She is Hip Hop.”

Proper Reserve Clothing Store

Music By DJ Sean Sax.

Read More

Manifesto The Main Stage

Sep 27, 2010

Saukrates & Rich Kidd  peformed at the Manifesto Festival Main Stage Event. The Main Stage Event is the finale to the seven day festival. Saukrates performed one of my fav’s Coming Up and Rich Kidd’s did Take It Slow.

Read More
Like IAmWhatsHot on Facebook!
Check out our YouTube Videos!
Follow IAmWhatsHot on Instagram!
Follow IAmWhatsHot on Twitter!