Gift of Music Raises $5000.00 for Music Counts Canada

Dec 16, 2010

Posted by | Leave a Comment

The Gift of Music presented by MC Kid Kut  along with IVPlay Entertainment showed their support for music recently by organizing a charity fundraiser in support of Music Counts Canada. The event hosted by  Kardinal Offishall, included a roster of special performances by Canadian artist; Jully Black, Kim Davis, Saukrates, Melanie Durrant among various others.

The exceptional talent from the evening, proved why music is truly a gift and continued support of music programs (such as Music Counts Canada) are truly important to keep alive.

Organizer Kid Kut spoke to me on why Music Counts Canada was his charity of choice…

“In the beginning stages of my career I was fortunate enough to be a part of a music program (called Fresh Arts) that allowed me to gain experience, make contacts and gain the knowledge required to start my career the right way.  Music Counts Canada is a great program it is very similar to the Fresh Arts program. They support children’s dreams to be involved in the Arts. I decided what better an initiative to support.”     

Accumulated funds from event ticket sales, a silent auction (of which I am now a proud owner of a new Black Berry Bold) and raffle will allow the Gift of Music team  to proudly donate approximately $5000.00 to Music Counts Canada in the coming weeks.

Congratulations to Kid Kut and the Gift of Music team.

Gift of Music Footage.

gift of music Toronto 2010 from Kid Kut on Vimeo.

www.KidKut.com
www.ivplay.ca

Read More

If Hip Hop Had A Face

Nov 23, 2010

About Face Artist Collective recently showcased art exhibit If Hip Hop Had A Face: A Portrait Experience.
Paintings from Artist Kwame Delfish, Georgia Fullterton, Peterson Joseph , among various other artist, filled the top floor of the Proper Reserve Clothing Store.  The representation of  Hip Hop through various pieces of Art, accented with music by DJ Sean Sax  mixed with the laid back vibe of the location, made the exhibit a great success.

Prior to the event, I hoped at least one of the several artist would “think out of the box” and take the time to truly represent the face of Hip Hop. Since, we all know (or should know) that Hip Hop is more than just music and entertainers. Hip Hop is truly a culture of people, places and things. I was convinced I would see at least one Biggie, Tupac, Run DMC or even Jay Z in the collection (they are all arguably great representations of the Hip Hop Culture) but I hoped to see something beyond the obvious. Surprisingly, I did.

Artist Georgia Fullerton
CLOSER TO THE SOURCE:  a simple portrait of a woman intensely occupied with her thoughts.

“In this painting I express how style and fashion in Hip-Hop Culture is never the book cover that we judge.”

Artist Kwame Delfish
RUSSELL SIMMONS: from Krush Grooves to Yoga Moves.

“Uncle Russ, the Dali Lama of the Hip Hop Movement known not just for his spirituality but for his dedication to teaching and empowering other’s. His contribution to the Hip Hop Culture continues to be unmatched as he is always looking for new ways of taking Hip Hop to higher heights……not just the face of Hip Hop but the face of change.”

Artist Peterson Joseph
HIP HOP DEITY:  She Is Hip Hop

Peterson Joseph

“Inspired by the Goddess of knowledge, music & art, Saraswati exudes the four elements of music: mind, alertness, ego, intellect.  Her stories are real, gritty, painful & triumphant. They tell of her trials, tribulations, failures and successes. Representing the universal, divine and true knowledge with confidence she channels every emotion and feeling into the heart and soul of music. She is strong. She is powerful. She is Hip Hop.”

Proper Reserve Clothing Store

Music By DJ Sean Sax.

Read More

Manifesto The Main Stage

Sep 27, 2010

Saukrates & Rich Kidd  peformed at the Manifesto Festival Main Stage Event. The Main Stage Event is the finale to the seven day festival. Saukrates performed one of my fav’s Coming Up and Rich Kidd’s did Take It Slow.

Read More

Intimate and Interactive: Kim Davis

Aug 16, 2010

If you’re a Toronto artist, I think it’s in your best interest to check out (at least one time) Tika Simone presents: Intimate & Interactive a weekly open mic showcase. The musical vibe coupled with an intimate setting will give any artist the opportunity to be really heard and any real music lover the opportunity to truly hear what these artist have to offer. The crowd interaction from both audience and artist alike (minus the artist ego) can only make Intimate & Interactive a great foundation for a consistent artist showcasing.

I checked out I & I (invited by Ms Tika herself) about two weeks ago for two reasons; to see what was soooo different about this open mic in comparison to other’s around the city and secondly, to show support to friend and one of three headliner’s Wolf J Mcfarlane (I introduced him here). For one, the opening acts were asked to “bring the business” as per Tika requirements and bring the business they did. One gentleman in particular stood out – O’Sound – not sure what the O stands for but that’s a question for later. He had this melodic, almost church-like R&B – not pop R&B – but Teddy Pendergrass-like R&B sound that confirmed this man could really sing! Opening act’s like O’sound weren’t just given a chance to perform ~ they had to audition to gain an opening spot (hence the quote bring the business). If you’re good, you open for well known Canadian artist like Eric Flowchild and Kim Davis etc. But if you’re really good, you may just get a chance to open time and time again. So the difference with I & I? There’s no walking up on stage and grabbing the mic Kanye style…this ish is purely based on talent.

So, I confirmed that this “little engine that could” (once again Tika’s words…lol) had many deserving passengers on this train. I was able to sit back and watch the more established folks (headliners) do their thing. I repeat myself constantly but the QUALITY of music that is oozing out of this city, is utterly ridiculous and each headliner had their individual something special to offer. Unsigned or not these three gentlemen: Wolf J, KJ & Blake Carrington are something to look out for. KJ’s REPEAT (lmao inside joke), Blake Carrington’s LOVE IS A RISK and Wolf J’s GRIZZLY BEARS PANDA gave you a show worth much more than the $10.00 cover charge.

So if you’re not feeling to do the club thing on a Friday night, or you’re a Manager looking for some really good talent, or just want to chill and have a few drinks but most importantly you’re a new artist looking for a place to shine!…..Intimate & Interactive at Lambadina Lounge is the spot.

C u there

* For open mic auditions email intimateandinteractive@gmail.com*

Check out their websites.

wolfj.com

blakecarringtonsworld.com

airkj.com/blog/

Read More
Like IAmWhatsHot on Facebook!
Check out our YouTube Videos!
Follow IAmWhatsHot on Instagram!
Follow IAmWhatsHot on Twitter!